Equine obesity: Pathophysiology, consequences and how to tackle it
This session will cover the pathophysiology of equine obesity, methods of quantifying fatness and the negative health related consequences, In addition, strategies for promoting weight loss will be discussed.
- By the end of the session, delegates will be able to:
- 1) Define obesity and recognise fatness in a horse
- 2) Describe current knowledge of the pathophysiology of equine obesity
- 3) Explain the health risks of obesity in the horse
- 4) Describe methods and tools available for teaching clients how to obtain weight loss in horses without compromising nutritional intake and welfare