Screening imported dogs on a shoestring
18 Nov 2022
IDEXX Advanced Diagnostics
Screening imported dogs for exotic parasites is essential for health planning for the individual patient, minimising zoonotic risk and the possibility of endemic establishment. ESCCAP UK & Ireland recommends testing for more than half a dozen different parasites but limited finances on the part of new owners of rescue dogs can make this difficult. This webinar will focus on prioritising which parasites to test for and minimising cost where finances are limited, focusing on the value of clinical histories, relevant clinical signs, grouping tests and in house testing.
- To appreciate the value of travel history and clinical signs in prioritising parasites to test for ·
- To be able to emphasise to clients the rationale and importance of testing ·
- To recognise the value of blood smears and relative chances of detecting exotic blood-borne parasites by this method
- Considering grouping of tests to reduce cost
- · In house testing as a cost efficient way of screening.