What about welfare when it comes to sustainable food?
- Farmed animal welfare is often treated as the poorer second cousin to environmental, social and health issues when it comes to food
- We can not have truly sustainable food systems or sustainable diets, unless we include welfare on a level footing with other key issues and take an 'in the round' approach (rather than, for example, have tunnel vision on climate action alone)
- In order to achieve this, we must shift mindsets and treat each other as food citizens with power rather than simply as consumers (who often feel helpless and disconnected at the end of long food chains)
- On the policy front, welfare must be at the cornerstone of ethical food policy
- - Understanding of interconnectedness of welfare and environmental & social issues in relation to food
- - Initial understanding of the concept of food citizenship and why it's important